Friday, August 20, 2010

Deuclea's Chicken with Corn Cream

This is yet another one of my grandmother's recipes that I just love. I don't know how she came up with this combination of flavors and I never heard of anybody else making something similar.
But, again, my grandmother and I share a problem. We make up recipes and don't actually have a formal recipe. This one, she sort of dictated to me over the phone about 10 years ago. I needed a different dish for a friend's surprise birthday party. It was a big hit and I had no leftover for my brother who was living with me at the time (it was more like me living with him).

Here is what you will need:

Chicken Breast
Tomato Sauce
Onion ( could use powder)
Garlic ( could use powder)
Salt
Parsley
Cooked Ham
Mozzarella
Corn
Sour Cream

The measurements I used for this one will allow for 2 adults servings, well served. Double it up as you want. I just think this is the easiest way to get started since it's a pretty round set of ingredients.




In a medium sauce pan I added:
1/2 cup of tomato sauce ( it can be store bought or you might prefer your own)
1 lbs diced chicken breast
2 tsp dry parsley / or 2 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 pinch of salt

In Brazil every recipe starts with a onion and garlic sauteed in oil. I just skip this step to save calories and possible side effects. I need to avoid oils and thick fats because of a GI surgery. Trust me, skipping this step will not make this dish any less yummy.

Stir and let it cook.
The chicken should be just covered in sauce so it soaks up with the flavors.



Once the chicken is totally cooked, when you break the pieces in half with the wooden spoon, you can remove from heat and set aside.



In a food processor ( I used a mini one):
1 can drained sweet corn
2 tbsp sour cream*
Turn it on!

* We do not have Sour Cream in Brazil, we use Creme de Leite. Here in the US it's called Table Cream, but it's not the easiest thing to find. You may find it in grocery stores that have a Latin section. It would be next to the condensed milk.



This is how it should look like. Set aside.



1/2 lbs of cooked ham chopped up. Set aside.
Grab the shredded mozzarella.
you will need 1 cup or whatever it takes to cover the dish.



This is a small recipe, so use a small baking dish.
This one is a Pyrex Loaf Pan.
Spread the chicken in the bottom. But don't just dump the whole thing.
Spoon the chicken out so you don't have a whole lot of sauce on the bottom.



Cover the chicken with the ham.



Cover the ham with the mozzarella.



Finally, cover the cheese with the corn cream and place it in the oven at 350F.
Bake it until golden brown.




The sauce bubbles up to the top. That's what makes it look like it has a frame, or might look like it burned a but, but it did not.





Ready to go!
Serve with white rice.
My grandmother also served with her diced fries with parmesan cheese.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment